Ever had that feeling where you are staring at a blank sheet of paper and wondering what to write for your ritual?
Here are some writing prompts.
- What is your favourite animal / bird / tree / flower / plant?
- Does it have any mythology associated with it?
- What is its life-cycle?
- In relation to the ritual year?
- In relation to the four elements?
- Who is your favourite mythological character / deity / being?
- What is their symbolism or their story?
- Can you retell it as a ritual drama?
- Do they have a relationship with a plant / animal / bird?
- Can you retell a well-known myth or folktale from a different perspective?
- What handicraft or gardening activities interest you?
- Spinning, weaving, composting, planting, pruning, cooking, alchemy, science
- Arachne, spiders, weaver birds, Pomona, Flora, etc.
- Making poppets
- Blessing tools
- Planting seeds
- Can you come up with a ritual incorporating the activity or symbolism associated with it
- What deity is associated with the activity?
- What animal or bird is associated with the activity?
- Symbols and numbers
- Pentagram, unicursal hexagram etc.
- Walk the outline of the symbol
- Planets, elements
- Folktales and stories
- King Arthur cycle, Robin Hood tales, folk heroes, your local mythology (if you are a settler in a colonized country, don’t use Indigenous mythology)
- What is the key aspect of the festival for you?
- What plants / animals / birds appear in your region at that time of year?
- What agricultural or handicraft activity is associated with the festival or the time of year?
- What foods are associated with the festival?
- What natural cycles are associated with the festival?
- The water cycle (rain, evaporation, underground streams etc)
- Plant cycles – seed, growing, fruiting, wilting, compost etc